While your roof is the toughest component of your home, it will wear down over time due to constant exposure to the elements. This is why it needs routine maintenance to maximize its potential and avoid premature failure.
Thompson Roofing and Construction, your reliable roofing contractor, discusses the important items that should be on your roof maintenance checklist for the first quarter of the new year.
Key Components to Inspect
While your roof generally requires professional care, it still pays to take proactive steps on your own. Doing visual inspections will help you keep track of its condition and call for repairs when necessary. Using a pair of binoculars, look for these signs of damage:
- Cupping Shingles. As asphalt shingles age, their ends tend to curl up. A poorly ventilated attic can worsen this problem. The hot, moist air in the attic can make your roof overheat, causing the shingles to cup and deteriorate faster. This provides an entry for leaks.
- Missing Shingles. The sealant that holds the shingles in place can fail over time. Once this happens, the shingles can be blown off by high winds, even if they’re nailed down properly.
- Rust Spots on Flashing. Flashing are the strips of metal that safeguard the joints and valleys of your roofing system from water penetration. When they become rusted, they may curl, warp or develop holes, increasing the risk of leaks.
- Masses of Moss and Lichen. While these may seem like a cosmetic issue, they can cause serious harm when left untreated. These may imply that your roofing structure is decaying underneath.
- Cracked and Worn Rubber Boots Around Vent Pipes. The rubber boot is a type of flashing used to waterproof vent pipes and other pipe penetrations on the roof. This can eventually break due to severe conditions.
Course of Action
Once you spot any of these signs, seek the help of a trustworthy contractor like Thompson Roofing and Construction to perform prompt roof repair. Even if it’s just a small leak, taking immediate action to remedy the problem can go a long way in preventing major damage down the road. Furthermore, It’s best to keep a regular cleaning, inspection and maintenance schedule. This is the most effective way to prolong the life span of your roof while saving money. You can enjoy a safe, dry and comfortable home, as well.
Let us help you end your roofing woes. Call us at (256) 251-5566 to get a free estimate. We serve Huntsville and surrounding communities in Alabama.